7.17.2006

My Favorite Things, Part 2

Some more of my favorite objects . . .

The Family: A Proclamation to the World
This is my copy of a beautiful document put forth by the leaders of our Church several years ago. I put together this little montage and am so proud of how it turned out! It's hanging right by our front door, reminding Neal and me of our commitment to each other and of our responsibility as parents to our precious children. You can read it here.

My Family History Wall
This wall represents so much work, and in my mind, it's some of the most important work I'll ever do. The chart records the names of both my ancestors and Neal's. The pictures are visual representations of people who gave me my life and my name. They made me who I am, and I hope to meet them all someday.

My Sand Collection
Disclaimer: This is not my sand collection. Mine is not nearly this picture-worthy, yet. Although my sand collection is still waiting for a lovely organizational session, I still treasure it. I've collected sand from beaches I've visited over the past several years, and had friends collect it for me from places I know I'll never see, like Mozambique for example! I wish I had started it long ago, before I visited the Mediterranean and the Baltic seas, Fiji and New Zealand. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go back! One day I hope to display it in a special spot in my home; dozens of small glass bottles filled with sand from places I treasure.

This Letter to Audrey from her Grandmother
When Audrey was born, Neal's mom wrote her this letter. She implied that it was to be given to Audrey when she was "of age." I think we'll probably give it to her when she's 16 or so. Until then, it is something I treasure for Audrey. An envelope full of loving and inspiring words for my daughter from one of the most incredible women I've ever known.

3 comments:

stephanie said...

all of these things are so special! but the only one that made me cry was audrey's letter. what a treasure! neal's mom was very incredible.

Charlotte said...

Audrey is SO lucky! When Mama died, Martha and I looked through all of her stuff, hoping she had left something like that (funny.... Mama said she did the same thing when her mother died). You just want one last tidbit of wisdom. We've kind of used the letter she sent to Ryan on his mission for that. I'm so glad she did that for Audrey.

joojierose said...

i loved neal's mom. i only met her a few times, but you could just tell that she was the most incredible person. she seemed to radiate absolute love and wisdom. what an awesome thing for audrey!!